Monday 14 November 2011

A Quick Trip to Norway

The month of October was flying by, but there was still more to do! The weekend after dad came I went on a cruise to Oslo, Norway with some friends that I met on my trip to Bornholm earlier in the semester.

We got on the ship Friday evening, ate a ton of peanut butter and jellies, explored the ship, and got accustomed to the tiny little box that we called our room. The ship was much nicer than the one we took to Estonia, but still was nothing like the one my grandmother and I went on two summer ago. I guess she spoiled me too much that now I have such high expectation for cruise ships!

The first night was pretty uneventful and really just consisted of hanging out in our room with some other DIS kids who were on the ship too.  The place that was supposed to be a night club only had a bunch of older people on the dance floor..... so I decided to head to bed early.

Saturday morning we arrived in Oslo and hit the ground running. My friends and I quickly headed off the ship to explore the city. None of us thought to look up things to see before we got there so we were kind of walking around hoping to find something cool.  The opera house was right across the water from the ship was docked so we headed over there first to climb up the outside of it and have a chance to see a good view of all of Oslo.  Unfortunately I found the city to be a bit underwhelming, but it was definitely worth the trip, so I could add it to my list of places I have been. I have learned that when you go to a city it is a good idea to plan out some things to see so you can make the most of your time there.

We went to a statue garden which was extremely interesting. Everywhere you looked, you could see different kind of naked statues, along with a totem pole full of human bodies. Needless to say it was very different, but kind of cool to see.  We also took a trip to the Munch museum to see the famous scream painting, but after trekking all the way across the city to find it, we were told that the painting was actually in the National Gallery where the royal palace was. I was bummed that we were not able to see it, but we were able to see some other really great painting done by Munch and other artists who were featured at his museum.



















We got home early Sunday morning and there was just one week of a ton of work standing between me and what was going to be the best weekend abroad. Next up..... Emily David, Chloe Golod, Ashley Davis, and Kate Good making a quick trip to Copenhagen to go to Sensation White...... and of course, TYLER!

No comments:

Post a Comment